Australia Day

Tuesday, January 26, 2010
January 26th is Australia Day. It's a public holiday, so most folks get together with family and friends to have a 'barbie' (barbecue) with snags (sausages), steaks and seafood. Six-packs and flies (tis summer here!) are plentiful.

Anyways, today on TV they (the TV people) were talking about Australian of the Year 2010. And I got thinking...I don't really care who it is. I mean, I appreciate whoever it is who has won the award and all, but personally, I wouldn't camp out all day just to see who got the award. And again, I got thinking, does this mean that I'm not supportive and patriotic towards my nation and fellow countrymen?

My answer to my own question (hehe, I have to do that a lot since I seem to have a very inquisitive type of nerdy brain) is that I do love Australia and I do appreciate her beauty and eveything she's given me. My life is quite comfortable compared to the lives of those in Haiti or in another developing country. My government supports me as a student. I have a lot of opportunities as a young woman which I can choose to pursue with nothing holding me back. I am free to express my thoughts and values as an individual.
But (yup, here's the but) I've never fought in a war. I've never had anyone who has died fighting for the freedom of Australia. I've never experienced the threat of having Australia not be the place she is due to war and invasions, unlike the WWII (or was it WWI?) generations before me.

Do I even make sense? I hope I do...! LoL

0 comments:

The End. Scroll back up.